Pages

Saturday 18 September 2010

My New Consoles and Data Transfer

So, what with my brothers going to Uni this weekend, I've been forced to buy my own PS3 and XBox 360. It's an investment I was going to make at some point, as I had hoped to have moved out by now, but someone's got to be there for my mum until they get back...

Anyway, with these shiny new consoles, the issue came with transferring my data over. Especially the PS3 - we've all heard the horror stories about not being able to transfer the 'copy-protected' stuff.

Moving my data to my XBox was pretty painless - luckily my bro had a 16GB memory stick on hand that had to be formatted for 360 use. I transferred my GamerTag, after syncing my achievements, and moved/copied over all my save data and downloads. Then naturally these were moved to my 360 and all was well. The reason for copying some of the data was in case something went wrong; after formatting the memory stick a warning was thrown up saying that while it has been formatted, the memory stick wasn't 360 approved and some data may be lost during transfer or some such.

The PS3 was a little more worrying as I had progress I didn't want to lose on Bayonetta, so using a method I found a few months ago that preserved data (which I can't seem to find on the net anymore...) I gave it a shot...after backing up the data on my bro's PS3 in case something went wrong. I then created a dummy account and initiated the transfer using this account after following the deactivation steps and syncing trophies for the other accounts. Once the transfer was complete, I checked both consoles and all data was intact, though the 'copy-protected' data had moved completely to my PS3. the next thing was to test the Bayonetta save files and everything was fine, though for some reason my trophies were re-achieved...

So I'm not sure if Sony fixed the data transfer issues or this method of using a dummy account was what did it, but I didn't lose anything...Either way though, I'm happy and sorted for my gaming needs. Though I also heard that once certain data has been moved, you can't earn future trophies on that data - will update once tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment