Pages

Monday 20 September 2010

Jupiter and Uranus to Waltz Tonight

Okay, so they're not exactly dancing, but for them to be merely 1-degree apart in the heavens is quite a sight and one I hope not to miss tonight - I've reserved a telescope that I will be picking up tonight from my local Argos.

It's really interesting how much celestial news I pick up from AOL News, the last time was in regards to the annual Perseids meteor shower every August. I missed it this time, though I did try to spot a few but am unsure if I caught any because of the light-pollution - so any of you folk out in the country, I envy you. Hopefully, I can catch the show next year if this telescope proves its worth and if my eyes hold out - I have this nagging and irrational fear that while I can see everything fine now, my condition will rapidly deteriorate much to my annoyance...and yet, I haven't really done anything marked on my Bucket List yet...

But anyway, I found out about Jupiter being the closest it's been to Earth since 46 years ago, and the next time will probably be in 2022...though I doubt it will be in conjunction with Uranus. Thus it is considered a very rare opportunity.

Wish me luck in being able to find it!

Article: Jupiter to make closest to Earth since 1963
The Sky Tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment