Pages

Monday 13 September 2010

Eid Mubarak

A little late, but Eid Mubarak - yes, I am a Muslim. Every year I try to keep the fast during the month of Ramadan, and while I keep a few...I don't always keep as much as I should. Also, we're supposed to make up the ones that we miss, but I never do...not because I don't care, but rather because as a personal belief, I feel that we shouldn't have to make them up - what's the point in fasting if it's not during Ramadan, the holy month will have been and gone. Yes, I'm also very casual in regards to my religion, however everything I do doesn't go against the teachings of the Qu'ran, though you won't find me wearing a hijab/head-scarf anytime soon and that's a personal choice based on my interpretation.

That's a problem though isn't it, 'interpretation'. Every year when Eid or Ramadan rolls around, I'm reminded that based on the interpretation of the Qu'ran by one man, I'm always celebrating a day after everyone else. It's quite difficult to explain to people why I celebrate events a day after, especially to other Muslims considering the denomination I belong to isn't accepted by the others and people who belong to the denomination I follow are victimised in various ways. Though of course, that's only when regarding the extremists, and I never ask a person their religion - that's quite easy to deduce, but even then your religion is not my business and if you are like me, your religion doesn't define you and your actions, it's simply a part of you. I of course respect the decision of others to follow their religion faithfully, I admire them in fact for having the courage, strength and belief to do so. I do believe in God, but I'd rather believe in him my own way.

It's been 9 years since that fateful day that changed the lives of many, and yet one would think the sentiment would begin to dissipate. However, it seems that since then and especially around this time of year, any bit of news that involves Muslims and casts them in a negative light instantly provokes demonising comments. Take for example the murder of Shafilea Ahmed - it's an awful story, but notice how most of the comments link 'Islam' and 'Honour Killing' together and instantly one believes that Islam promotes Honour Killings - which it doesn't; 'Honour Killings' are cultural, not religious, seeing as how Hindus and Sikhs have also allegedly committed these acts. After all, why would a religion that promotes the identity of self in a woman seek to extinguish her life should she choose to uphold that self, i.e. refuse to marry a man, which happens to be quite an important decision to make. It's quite upsetting seeing how these kinds of events bring out the darkness in people; I'm sure most of these people are decent, hard-working and pleasant...perhaps they even rub shoulders with a few Muslims, but read something like this and the mask slips and the anonymity of the internet provides an outlet for the true self that hides beneath.

Also, with the recent news of the 'Burn a Koran Day', which thankfully has been cancelled, I think the whole premise is asinine. All this just to move a community centre, which will be run by Muslims and include a prayer room. Just because it's a prayer room does not mean it's a Mosque, by that logic all airports that have prayer rooms are also Mosques. I'm tired of seeing and hearing people demonise the Islamic religion. People just need a reason to hate each other and you'd think that in a world that deems itself 'Intelligent' and 'Educated', we would be able to rise above all that and reach a plane of co-existence that truly nears the ideal of 'Enlightenment' Just think, a time where we can all truly work together, a time where religion and appearance do not form barriers, a time where the world is united. I've always had this feeling that I was born in the wrong time, but what can you do about it? People who feel they were born in the wrong bodies get to undergo 'Corrective Surgery', but what about the people who feel they don't belong - the people who see things differently? I suppose people like that just have to deal with it, or perhaps should strive to make that time a reality?

But yes, returning to the point, I feel that the demonising of Islam is unjust - after all, the atrocities pinned on it and perceived by the general masses are no more their crimes than they are everyones. Throughout history, mankind has sought to fight each other for one reason or another - they have raped, pillaged, murdered, enslaved all for the sole purpose of spreading their ideals. Conquering another country has always led to ethnic cleansing and forced conversions. There is no way I'm condoning these monstrous, inhumane acts...I just want people to stop pointing fingers as if it's the only time these kinds of things have happened. Not all Muslims are terrorists, just like not all Irish were terrorists who bombed England. It seems as though the mantle of 'Terrorist' gets passed around every so often - if movies are anything to go by, we've had the Germans and the Russians, so I wonder who's up next?

However, after that heavy subject, I leave you with this somewhat amusing thought:

I once attended an Entrepreneurship course and two guys were discussing Terrorism, and one of them comes out with:

"Why do Terrorists have to be so loud? Can't they be more...quieter?"

No comments:

Post a Comment