Pages

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Review: Professor Layton and the Lost Future - COMPLETE

On Sunday I decided to put my butt into gear and complete Professor Layton and the Lost Future - this was done in a matter of 3 hours, pushing my total playtime to something like 16-17 hours.

There's not much to say on the matter, apart from just like with the previous two titles and the movie - I loved it! For some reason I found the puzzles slightly easier this time around - perhaps my brain is getting used to the pattern of the puzzles?

I never watched a trailer for this game, though for the purpose of this post I thought of including one...however, I thought it gave away too much so if you want to watch it, it's at the end of this post.


I would summarise the game as thus: Having been invited to a prestigious and highly anticipated event, Professor Layton and Luke are guests at the unveiling of Allen Stahngun's Time Machine project. However, when demonstrating its capabilities, things go wrong and the machine blows up, taking with it the volunteer to be its first subject, and the doctors working on the machine, though no trace of them is left. Shortly after the event, the Professor receives a letter detailing a plea for help and instructions for their next move...signed by a familiar name from 10 years in the future. What follows is a mystery beyond comprehension, the unravelling of which is tied to the mystery surrounding a similar experiment gone awry 10 years in the past.

What do you think? A bit vague, but I can't really think of anything to say without spoiling it...

I also loved the cast - I have always loved Layton's voice, if Danny Glover's is chocolate to my ears, then I suppose that makes Layton akin to a cripplingly good head massage? I also have a new respect for Liam O'Brien (Gaara of the Desert - Naruto, Archer/EMIYA - Fate/Stay Night, Junta Momonari - DNA^2) and Yuri Lowenthal (Sasuke Uchiha - Naruto, Luke fon Fabre/Asch - Tales of the Abyss, Yosuke Hanamura - Persona 4) both of whom have developed very well as voice actors, and pulled off splendid English accents! I was totally fooled/floored when I found out it was them! The only voice I could NOT stand was Flora's. Never been able to, it's that bad I actually forgot she sounded like that throughout the series - I somehow convinced myself that she had an English-accented one and since we heard her so much in this game, I was outraged that they had 'changed' her voice, even though they never did.

The power of the human mind is a scary thing...it can even warp reality...well my reality.

As stated, I'm not giving away anything more regarding the story, that would be mean on my part, but a few things I will say are:
  1. 'the Lost Future' totally suits as a sub-heading to the game as it has something to do with the story, unlike 'the Unwound Future'...I am curious as to why the NA region chose that sub-heading though...
  2. I can't believe Layton's voice is also Don Paolo's - now that's talent!
  3. This game now sits nicely next to its predecessors in the sexy box provided free by Club Nintendo to all who register all three games in the series.
  4. I cannot wait for the Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright crossover game!

See...I told you it gave too much away...While I shouldn't be surprised, but the fact that Layton had a sweetheart took me completely off guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment