Pages

Monday 3 January 2011

Addiction Woes

Why oh why do I have this addiction to video games? I just keep buying them and they take up space; I've barely played half the games I own. Life was different when I was a child and my mother was my sole source of income - I actually listened to the voice that said "No!", though it was rarely uttered. Now that I have a job, most of my income goes on games...but I don't buy one every week, it's more like once every month or so. Very infrequent, so I suppose I've been quite good about it, but time just flies and the next thing I know I'm barely half-way through the game I'm playing and another one I want to play is out...sometimes they come in three's...However, I only shell out retail price if my gut tells me the game is one of those ones people overlook the promise of and only order a few units, or if there's a Limited or Collector's Edition, otherwise I troll the internet and wait for prices to eventually drop.



That said, you'd think I'd be better at managing my money...I am sort of, but it seems like a new addiction is blossoming and that is collecting figurines. I always admired the craftsmanship that goes into creating them but never had the gut-wrenching urge to own them...then came Saber Lily ~Distant Avalon~ - at the time I was unemployed and living off my savings, but that was the first time I really wanted to own a figurine. I decided to let her go as a farfetched dream, then around the time I became miraculously employed, I discovered the release of Saber Lily ~Golden Caliburn~ I came across this as I was looking for the predecessor, taking my brother's advice of owning a figurine to get a better idea of making her outfit - I should mention, one of the things I've always wanted to do is give Cosplaying a go at least once, and Saber Lily is my choice. I tracked down numerous reference images but none can compare to owning an actual figurine, and so stumped as to which I should own...I bought both, the former after a lengthy eBay hunt and the latter surprisingly through Amazon.co.uk - you don't want to know how much I spent in total...if you're really interested, you can perform the searches yourself.

Saber Lily ~ Distant Avalon ~

Saber Lily ~ Golden Caliburn ~

Shortly after, as I was buying the collection of Cable and Deadpool, I came across a figurine of Akihiko Sanada from Persona 3 - my favourite character from the game - and my other brother, who also liked him urged me to buy it and the next thing I know the figurine was taking up residence on my TV. It was around that time I also came across the Bishoujo DC/Marvel Heroines line of figurines and they look so beautiful that I don't know what to do...luckily I have some time to think about it, but then there's also the Saber Alter ~Vortigern~ due out in April and it just looks too cool to pass up...I may part with these figurines at some point, but for now I'm attempting to make space on my shelf to display them.

Akihiko Sanada, Persona 3 V1

Akihiko Sanada, Persona 3 V2

Recently, however, I discovered the Saber Lily Dollfie Dream, which is just breathtakingly stunning. I've been wanting to own a Dollfie for some years now, ever since Jonathon Ross featured one on his infrequent Japanimation show, but they're just so darn expensive, yet this Dollfie is a Limited Edition. When I found that out and read on the English portal of the VOLKS JP website that she was available at an event and that it had passed, I was crushed - there was no hope of ever owning one, but then I came across the VOLKS USA website and discovered they were holding a Lottery for remaining dolls. I felt like hope had blossomed, only to be crushed again to find out that entry had closed and was only open to US* residents anyway. However, I continued reading and came across the small print near the top about International** customers wishing to take part in the Lottery and to do so they would have to use the JP website. Full of trepidation, I followed the link and to my surprise entry for the Lottery was in progress! Entry was from 20th-23rd December Japan Time and I discovered this on the 21st London Time meaning that I had less than 2 days to decide. With no hope of winning, I entered anyway, putting in my ticket for the Dollfie and an extra accessory that just had to be bought for completionists sake.

I was full of hesitation, I mean if I won both items the total would come close to a full month's wages, meaning I'd have to dip into my savings and I really wanted to save so I can pay off my Student Loan and start saving again for all sorts of future commodities - I can't believe my brother has the gall to ask "What're you saving for anyway?" just because he can't hold onto his cash for more than 10 minutes. Anyway, I've decided that this will be my last expensive purchase of the year - that same brother also said it was fair to treat myself now and then, and that this could be my Christmas Present if anyone asks; he can be so sweet sometimes. I've also got a plan in place - it's an ingenious plan, seeing as I need a piggy bank with a tougher lock and I actually see myself sticking to this. Oh yeah, I won both items...imagine my surprise and horror, but something happened to make me realise how lucky I was and it would be a shame to turn this opportunity down - I'll write about it another time, like when she finally arrives.

Going back to the original topic of games, however, being so addicted to them is bad, especially when half the games I really want to play never make it to EU shores. I love living in the UK, but really there are times where I resent it for being overlooked by the US - it's quite sad when you think about it, I mean it's not like we don't try to put ourselves on the map, we just don't give ourselves the chance. I used to write reviews for AnimeCentral and there was such promise, just like there was so much promise when CNX used to be on air, but it barely had a chance what with "Purist" Anime fans wailing about Dubs versus Subs - an argument for another day - and the minority of the population actually tuning in. Then again, I wonder if advertising had anything to do with it - I didn't even know the channel was due to exist until a one-time friend told me about it. But really, if the channel had been given the chance to run for another year...who knows what could have happened. I know I could always hop online and pay subscription fees to crunchyroll or AnimeNetwork.co.uk but my mum pays the TV License and Sky HD fees for a reason...

Mini-rant aside, I've been looking forward to the release of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor on the DS, and waited close to TWO years for any news on an EU release, but have heard none. Some part of me still hopes it will be released, but if Wiki is anything to go by and it sees a release on the 3DS...then I shall be bummed, for I will not be buying a 3DS - as far as I know. With most of my hope dwindling, I turned to my other brother for advice and he said to import it anyway. I found a copy on Play-Asia, but hesitated and when I decided to buy it, it was on backorder, which some weeks later became Out of Print. I was bummed then decided to turn to eBay - I would hesitate no more, and now my game should be coming soon, albeit £3.00 more dearer including shipping.

There are companies like Ghostlight, who work hard at establishing a place for JRPG's in the market, and I commend them highly for they have brought us the majority of SMT titles - Devil Summoner I and Persona 3/FES/4 were brought by other publishers - and are working on future acquisitions. I am also impressed by how they managed to localise Agarest before the US - not the first time it's happened, but it filled me with hope that one day, just one day the EU will have an equal presence. I don't understand where the idea that Japanese titles don't do well in the EU came from - the UK is just one country in Europe, but Anime, Manga and JRPG's certainly have a presence that needs to be nurtured, not kicked in the groin repeatedly.

I don't like importing my games, but I have done if the game has next to no chance of being released. Thus far, the games I have imported are Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona and Devil Summoner II - I have Swap Magic for PS2. Yes, I know that the first two games are available on the PSN, but I would much rather own a hard copy/disc with all the bells and whistles.

* As a fan of most things Japanese, I am often filled with jealous loathing for how lucky the US is for establishing their market/foothold. I wish that I was in a better position to exploit this niche...


** Not related to that point, but it irks me to no end that 'British English' is referred to as 'International English' by the US. I still can't believe an anecdote I heard, where someone went to Disney Land, Florida and asked for 'Water' (in a British accent) and the person she asked had no idea what she was asking for until her friend asked in an American one...

No comments:

Post a Comment